Are you wearing your mask correctly?
Whether you are wearing a surgical or cloth mask, take the following steps to ensure that you are doing it correctly:
– Before putting on the mask, wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water, or use a hand sanitiser that is made up of over 60% alcohol.
– Check for defects in the mask, such as holes, tears or broken loops.
– Position the outer side of the mask outward according to the instructions of the manufacturer.
– If present, make sure the metallic strip is at the top of the mask and positioned against the bridge of your nose.
– If the mask has:
– ear loops: hold the mask by both ear loops and place one loop over each ear
– ties: hold the mask by the upper strings. Tie the upper strings in a secure bow near the crown of your head. Tie the bottom strings securely in a bow near the nape of your neck
– dual elastic bands: pull the bottom band over your head and position it against the nape of your neck. Pull the top band over your head and position it against the crown of your head.
– Mould the bendable metallic upper strip to the shape of your nose by pinching and pressing down on it with your fingers.
– Pull the bottom of the mask over your mouth and chin.
– Be sure the mask fits snugly.
– Don’t touch the mask once in position.
– If the mask gets soiled or damp, replace it with a new one.